This article provides a brief description of dental implants, what their benefits are and why people sometimes need them.
Considered as one of the most significant advances made in the field of dental science in recent decades, dental implants offer benefits that would have you wondering why you would ever consider another option. Aside from the fact that they are virtually impossible to differentiate from natural healthy teeth, the biological fusion between the jawbone and titanium screw comprising the dental implant allows the complete tooth replacement structure to stay firmly ‘rooted’ in the jawbone and work very similar to a natural tooth!
Unfortunately, the need for dental implants can be as unavoidable as the need to take out the trash. At some point, regardless of your age, (accidents happen!) a trip to the dentist’s office will be necessary. Tooth loss can be the result of accidental trauma, tooth decay, dental caries, certain illnesses and periodontal (gum) disease. These oral afflictions are almost always the result of poor dental hygiene and a lack of professional care. Rest assured; the dentist in Silver Spring MD supplies the best solution modern dentistry has to offer patients who have lost teeth: dental implants!
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
• Minimum discomfort: Aided by sophisticated computer software and 3D Cone Beam CT scans, implant dentists are able to place dental implants using very few incisions and sutures. Since this kind of trauma is what’s responsible for most post-operative pain, recovery is hastened and made far more comfortable.
• Restoration of smile aesthetics: Gaps left by missing teeth are filled by the dental implants, thus restoring a full, healthy-looking and confident smile.
• Restoration of bite strength and function: Dental implants are strong and function like natural teeth, meaning that you can return to enjoying your favorite foods as soon as the implants have properly healed.
• Improved speech: Missing teeth can and do affect speech and one’s ability to articulate their words properly. By filling the gaps left by missing teeth, dental implants help to address this problem, returning the proper interaction between the teeth, tongue and lips during speaking.
• Fixed and non-removable: Dental implants are ‘rooted’ in the bone of the jaw and as such, they do not require support from surrounding teeth (like conventional bridges) and underlying gums (like removable dentures). This prevents them from causing irritation, damage and inflammation.
• Lasting solution: If looked after properly with good oral hygiene as well as frequent visits to your friendly dental healthcare professional, your new teeth can last several decades and even a lifetime! This makes dental implants the perfect long-term option for addressing your missing teeth misery.
It’s not as if you need more reasons to be convinced, but just in case, additional benefits of dental implants include: the promotion of dental stability, functional stimulation and preservation of bone and gum shape. When we lose teeth, the gum tissue and bone in the surrounding areas atrophies and begins to disappear, undergoing a natural remodeling process. Left untreated, this can cause many aesthetic and functional problems for the surrounding teeth. However, a Silver Spring dentist can offer solutions, complete with all the benefits mentioned above, giving you the opportunity to walk away with a beautiful, healthy and beaming smile.